Project management is the use of management disciplines to achieve a one time objective or set of objectives.
Management disciplines include: planning, organizing, staffing, directing and constrolling.
Managing a project requires different skills that managing on-going processes.
Some say that project management is the art of creating the illusion that any outcome
is the result of a series of predetermined, deliberate acts, when in fact, it was blind, dumb luck!
What is a project? A project is a one time effort to meeting specific goals.
Examples of projects include:
- Creating a new product
- Moving to a new building
- Hosting a wedding
- Acquiring a company
Project Management Provides
- Integrated task definitions for an entire project
- Definitions of resource requirements
- Major timetable milestones
- Definition of end-item quality and reliability requirements
- The basis for performance measurement
- Single direct management link to "customer"
Project Management Benefits
- Specific identification of all functional responsibilities
- All defined tasks are assigned to someone
- Minimizes the need for continuous reporting
- Identifies time limits
- Creates a methodology for trade-off analysis
- Measurers accomplishments against plans
- Early identification and correction of problems
- Improved estimate capability for future projects
- Improved profits
- Faster decisions
- More measurable results
- Creates a balance of authority
Project Management Objectives
- Produce solutions that satisfy the requirements
- Satisfy the stakeholders (Customers, Investors, Employees, etc.)
- Achieve the results within time constrains
- Achieve the results within budget constraints (use of resources)
- Learn: add to organizationís knowledge and skill base
This listing is provided as information only and does not constitute an endorsement
by the webmaster.
It is your responsibility to check out suppliers thoroughly.
Trademarks and Service Marks are the property of their respective companies.
Copyright© 1999-2015, First Place Software, Inc.